GHEORGHENI - Nine 4-star hotels are being built in the Hungarian part of Romania. The Hungarian government is using public money for this. In total, Hungarian taxpayers have generously subsidised the construction of nine hotels, two of which will be opened in Mures district in the coming days.
In the first part of our series, we looked at the most interesting investment: a company owned by Attila Balázs, one of the up-and-coming Orban oligarchs, has received 2.4 billion forints, 7.5 million euros, to build a six-star luxury hotel. In a village in Harghita County, Gyergyóremete/Remetea, where there is hardly any tourism: even on the Booking.com accommodation portal there are only two places, a small pension and an apartment for rent.
The luxury hotel will be run (and subsidised) by a company whose main activity is beef semen production and breeding bulls. A private airstrip has already been built next to the hotel and will be used exclusively by the oligarch. Although the hotel was due to be handed over at the end of 2022 according to the grant application, it is still far from completion. All the indications are that the whole project was designed to give the Orban regime's private jet rich a place to hide from the world.
- Luxushotel adóforintokból a semmi közepén - Magyar Hang 07 July 2023
- Így néz ki a magyar górék Remetén épülő csajozófészke - Atlatszo.ro 07 July 2023
- Haverokból hoteltulajdonosok – Luxusszállodák Székelyföldön magyar közpénzből, 2. rész - Magyar Hang 14 July 2023
- Na, kik kaptak ajándékba luxusszállót a magyar kormánytól? - Atlatszo.ro 17 July 2023
- Politikai beágyazódással és némi kitartással milliárd lejes luxushotelt tudhat magáénak az RMDSZ volt szovátai tanácsosa - Transtelex 24 July 2023
need resources for your own investigative story?
Journalismfund Europe's flexible grants programmes enable journalists to produce relevant public interest stories with a European mind-set from international, national, and regional perspectives.
support independent cross-border investigative journalism
We rely on your support to continue the work that we do. Make a gift of any amount today.