EUROPE - Schools are crucial integration hubs. This investigation is about teaching migrant students in the schools of Europe.
In many European cities teachers deal daily with the arrivals of young migrants and refugees, who may have experienced violence, war and loss, and who must adapt hurriedly to a language and a culture different from their own. Special interventions - such as language courses and psychological and learning support – are often desperately needed. But scarce funding and inconsistent school policies warrant a failure to deliver these vital services. Teachers struggle while juggling few resources, and migrant students often underperform and have a more difficult school experience.
This cross-border investigation looks at how schools deal with migrant teenagers in France, Germany, Italy, Poland and UK and what the main challenges for their teachers are. We asked:
- Are there common national guidelines, and how can a local school adapt to these?
- Are there dedicated and sufficient funding and specialized staff?
- Do teachers have the necessary training and skills and what would they need more?
- What are the best practices developed for the intercultural dialogue?
- Last, but most important, in a time where Europe seems to close its borders, are schools giving equal opportunities to all the students, or is the right to education at risk?
📷 by Carolina Rapezzi
- Jeszcze trochę i będę jak Polaczka! Jak radzą sobie ukraińscy uczniowie w polskiej szkole - OKO.press 30 January 2023
- POLSKO-UKRAIŃSKIE KONFLIKTY W SZKOŁACH. JAK IM ZARADZIĆ? - Tygodnik Powszechny 15 April 2023
- Bildung und Beruf: Junge Flüchtlinge stehen vor Herausforderungen - Islamische Zeitung 12 June 2023
- I percorsi a ostacoli della scuola multiculturale - Internazionale 12 June 2023
- Migrant teenagers and education: The obstacle course in the UK and Italy - Voxeurop 23 June 2023
- Adolescenti e migranti: le difficoltà dell’integrazione nelle scuole italiane e britanniche - Voxeurop (Italian) 23 June 2023
- Au Royaume-Uni et en Italie, les exilés adolescents au défi de l’intégration scolaire - Voxeurop (French) 23 June 2023
- Jugendliche und Migrant*innen: die Schwierigkeiten der Integration in italienischen und britischen Schulen - Voxeurop (German) 23 June 2023
- Child refugees are being forced to wait months for UK school places - openDemocracy 29 June 2023
- Podcast: The World in a Classroom - Spotify 31 August 2023
- In Italia la scuola non è cominciata per tutti - Internazionale 18 September 2023
need resources for your own investigative story?
Journalismfund Europe's flexible grants programmes enable journalists to produce relevant public interest stories with a European mind-set from international, national, and regional perspectives.
support independent cross-border investigative journalism
We rely on your support to continue the work that we do. Make a gift of any amount today.