KYIV - Internews Ukraine (IUA) team has completed the implementation of the a project aimed to increase the awareness of the public and decision-makers in Ukraine and Europe about ecological issues emerging as a result of the Russian invasion of Ukraine.
Through a short-term training program and Small grant program, the IUA team facilitated the coverage of warfare ecology issues by Ukrainian journalists, partly leaning on the investigative genre and solution-based journalism.
As a result of this Program, 50 regional journalists participated in the training sessions and 25 materials were produced and published, drawing much-needed attention to ecological issues in Ukraine during the war. These materials contributed to creating a base for future investigations of the effects of Russia’s invasion on the environment of Ukraine.
In addition, five materials were translated into English and published on the UkraineWorld platform to reach audiences in other countries.
About the organisation
Internews Ukraine is one of the biggest agencies in Ukraine's non-governmental sector. Established in 1996, it has been working tirelessly to implement projects that strengthen the professional capacities of media organizations, increase media literacy, support social journalism, new media, and media rights. One of the key directions of the organization’s work is in the sphere of communications, specifically implementation of informational campaigns on social issues, media production, PR and communications support, trainings and consulting. IUA’s mission lies in strengthening European values in Ukraine through developing its media sector.
- Drop by drop: how contaminated water kills
- На території одного з п’яти регіональних ландшафтних парків Миколаївщини тривають бойові дії
- Why are dolphins dying in the Black Sea and how long will we have to wait to restore their population
- Nature Reserves on Fire: Russia’s Environmental Crimes in Southern Ukraine, UkraineWorld, 02/06/2023
- Ruined buildings and dreams (Video), UkraineWorld, 09/06/2023
- Green Post-War Reconstruction of Zaporizhzhya: How to Restore Destroyed Buildings, UkraineWorld, 03/06/2023;
- Зневоднені землі. Як диверсії російських окупантів на Каховській ГЕС і двох каналах наближають екологічну катастрофу на українському півдні, Investigator, 10/04/2023;
- What the Russians Left Behind in the Steppes of Kherson Oblast, UkraineWorld, 07/06/2023.
need resources for your own investigative story?
Journalismfund Europe's flexible grants programmes enable journalists to produce relevant public interest stories with a European mind-set from international, national, and regional perspectives.
support independent cross-border investigative journalism
We rely on your support to continue the work that we do. Make a gift of any amount today.