AMSTERDAM - From the age of twelve until the age of twenty-two, Erwin Roebroeks was in the grip of a compulsive disorder. He showered eight hours a day, drank soapsuds while wearing surgical gowns, and cut open his skin to be able to clean the inside. At first, the medical world wrote him off. Roebroeks will never get rid of his severe obsessive-compulsive disorder (ocd).
And yet, after a long process and three years of in-patient treatment with the most extreme therapies, he manages to do what hardly anyone ever does. He is freed from his compulsion. He leaves the clinic as reborn, but outside he is confronted with the years he has missed. What does the wide world mean for someone who has seen the darkest parts of himself in an isolated clinic? What do friendship and love mean to a man who has known great loneliness? In Ik dwang, Roebroeks investigates how it is possible that he has been cured, and what it means to be liberated from an evil that had a hold on him for so long.
- Title: Ik dwang
Subtitle: Genezen van een obsessief-compulsieve stoornis
Author: Erwin Roebroeks
Editor: De Bezige Bij
Date of publication: 16-09-2021
- Erwin Roebroeks te gast bij Nooit Meer Slapen, VPRO/NPO Radio 1, 16/09/2021.
- ‘Mijn behandeling lijkt sadistisch, maar er was geen andere weg’, De Standaard, 02/10/2021.
- ‘Dwangstoornissen zijn hartstikke hip geworden. Een freakshow’, NRC, 06/10/2021.
- Erwin Roebroeks beschrijft hoe hij een extreme angst voor zijn eigen lichaamssappen wist te overwinnen, Trouw, 14/10/2021.
- "Ik stond acht uur per dag onder de douche", Het Laatste Nieuws, 23/10/2021.
- Erwin Roebroeks - Dwang en muziek, Podium Witteman Podcast, NTR, 24/10/2021.
need resources for your own investigative story?
Journalismfund.eu’s flexible grants programmes enable journalists to produce relevant public interest stories with a European mind-set from international, national, and regional perspectives.
support independent cross-border investigative journalism
We rely on your support to continue the work that we do. Make a gift of any amount today.