After the genocide of 1994, the Rwandan government temporarily suspended history from the school curriculum. The characters in After Years of Walking - children, teachers, genocide killers, students and historians - all find themselves in an uncertain zone between the old history and a new one.
The filmmaker found a historical film made in 1959 by Belgian missionaries. She took this film back to Rwanda in 2002 as an entry point into Rwanda's search for history.
- 37 min. / Beta SP (shooting format: DV-cam) / 2003
French and Kinyarwanda spoken, with English subtitle
Director/producer: Sarah Vanagt
Cinematographer: Annemarie Lean-Vercoe
Sound recordist: Pauline Simonet
Editor: Sarah Metcalfe
Sound design: Robert Prynne
Music: Tradi-musiciens (Rwanda)
EXPO & SCREENING
- Cross-examinations #3, These and Other Works, group exhibition, Extra City, Antwerp, 2012
- Transat Vidéo, Caen 2011
- Festival International de films de femmes de Créteil, Paris 2010
- Imperial War Museum Film and Video Archive, London 2008
- Smart Project Space, Amsterdam 2008
- IDFA International Documentary Festival Amsterdam 2004
- Sheffield International Documentary Festival 2004
- Film Festival Clairmont-Ferrand (African Perspective) 2004
- Oxdox International Documentary Festival Oxford 2004
- Festival of European Film Schools Bologna 2004
- Human Rights Watch Film Festival London 2004
- One World 2004 - Human Rights Documentary Festival Prague 2004
- Amnesty International Film Festival USA - West Hollywood 2004
need resources for your own investigative story?
Journalismfund.eu’s flexible grants programmes enable journalists to produce relevant public interest stories with a European mind-set from international, national, and regional perspectives.
support independent cross-border investigative journalism
We rely on your support to continue the work that we do. Make a gift of any amount today.