ABIDJAN - In this story, investigative journalists Daan Bauwens and Nicholas Ibekwe focus on Highway 10, the transatlantic route that for centuries brought millions of captured African slaves to South-America via the tenth parallel.
Now the parallel is in use again as one of the preferred routes for South-American drug cartels for cocaine, with West-Africa as a stockpiling stopover along the way to the growing European market.
In the fourteen years since the route has been fully functional, West-Africa has suffered the spillover effects of the drug trade. After the seizure of first eight tonnes of cocaine and then 1.2 tonnes of cocaine in South-America, with the port city of Abidjan as destination, this story focuses on the little known effects of the drug trade in Ivory Coast, a country that has suffered a great deal of civil unrest in the last decades.
Besides the obvious detrimental effects on health and the social fabric in the country, does the drug trade also have the potential of bringing about political violence and military adventurism as it has done in other West-African nations before?
© Daan Bauwens
- SPECIAL REPORT: Drug Frontier: How cocaine trafficking is impacting West Africa - Premium Times, 1 January 2020
- Comment votre conso de coke fout la merde en Afrique de l’Ouest - VICE France, 27 May 2020
- West-Afrika betaalt de tol voor Europese cocaïneverslaving - MO* Magazine, 13 December 2019
- West-Afrika betaalt de prijs voor Europese cocaïneverslaving - Oneworld.nl, 3 January 2020
- Hoe jouw cokegebruik West-Afrika ruïneert - VICE Belgium, 26 May 2020
- West-Afrika betaalt de tol voor Europese cocaïneverslaving - MO* Magazine, December 2019
need resources for your own investigative story?
Journalismfund Europe's flexible grants programmes enable journalists to produce relevant public interest stories with a European mind-set from international, national, and regional perspectives.
support independent cross-border investigative journalism
We rely on your support to continue the work that we do. Make a gift of any amount today.